This is Deena. As my friends, family, and colleagues know, I love baking and sharing my confections. It’s a great way for me to
1. share joy with people I love
2. feed myself some of my favorite things
3. be creative
For my first post, it seems fitting that I’d share my favorite recipe for bread pudding. It’s from allrecipes.com and I found it years ago. I’ve made it regularly and it’s no-fail. Here’s the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/bread-pudding-ii/
Here are some ways I’ve adapted the recipe:
- It calls for 6 slices of bread. I use challah and since challah shouldn’t be sliced (except for French toast), I just tear up bread until it loosely fills the 8×8 baking dish.
- I almost always use chocolate chips instead of raisins.
- I use skim milk. *Be sure to warm the eggs and milk to room temperature (I preheat the oven and put them on it.)
It’s best served warm-the chocolate, cinnamon, and vanilla come through and it has a great custardy texture because of the amount of eggs and milk used.