Do you like to bake in the morning? I do. I also like procrastibaking, in which one procrastinates something else by baking. Procrastibaking breakfast items in the morning is perfect because at the end, you have a warm, homemade delicious breakfast to enjoy.
These muffins are fantastic. I found this recipe earlier this year and I’ve made them several times.These are a good balance of healthy and delicious: they use whole wheat flour and bananas and the chocolate-muffin ratio is pretty generous 🙂 These are great for a relaxing meal at home or an on-the-go breakfast or snack.
These muffins keep very well in the freezer-for several months. To serve from frozen, I recommend defrosting in the refrigerator for a day and then warming in a toaster oven until warm.
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
from Bran Appetit
- 1/3 cup safflower oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium super ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour, or a mix of the two
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Either grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with cupcake/muffin liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup together with a whisk. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the flour, baking soda, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake muffins for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan. Enjoy muffins as is or with a spread of butter.